Reidy writes

Saturday 15 October 2011

Week 5, Powering on !

I can't begin to explain how fortunate I feel to have such amazing people around me helping and motivating me through this 12WBT. Some may say "what's he talking about? He doesn't need to lose weight" or "It's easy for him, he was already fit before".  Well, to all those people my reply would be: Yes, maybe it is a little easier for me because I have been there before and I know what it takes.  Also, Yeah, maybe I didn't have to lose as much weight as other people, but I feel- and I'm sure others will agree with me - that we are all facing the same battles with temptations and bad habits. For example, I love meat pies, every time I walk past a pie shop I wanna smash one in my face so bad it's not funny; but part of my motivation is knowing there are other people having the same sort of thoughts and if I give in I am letting the team down.


I'm now wrapping up week 5 of my 12WBT and I'm down to my normal weight of 69kgs, but once you slim down it's easy to get into a mind set of, okay so I'm skinny now, the work's all done. I don't want that to happen to me. I wanna look as fit as I feel so I'm here for the full 12 weeks. With 7 weeks to go I'm feeling like I could take on the world. Part of that feeling comes from the support you get from everyone around you. The people that genuinely ask "how are you going?" and motivate you because they want you to achieve your goals as much as you do. They're the people I surround myself with and I wouldn't have gotten this far without them. Thanks guys, you know who you are ! 
Pickle & Chappy
V-Tak
I feel like a bit of a broken record when I say that my training this week has been great and I haven't missed a session but whether it be my 4 weights sessions at North Bondi SLSC, 3 Shift 60 classes, 2 swim squads, my Super Saturday Sessions or even just getting out there and doing something active like walking the dog, I'm proud of myself for not missing any and giving them all I have got !


Like a lot of people my biggest problem is time. There is never enough of it in the day. That leads me to confess a secret, this week I have been trying out a new company that has recently opened for business in Sydney called Hexey. Hexey deliver fresh, high protein, low carb, delicious meals, to your door, daily. Now I do understand that part of my 12WBT is about following the nutrition plan and cooking Mish's meals because it will help me to understand the right foods I need to fuel my body to live healthily. I do follow it when ever it is realistically possible for me but most days (especially through the week) I leave the house at 4:15am and don't stop till 7:30pm. After a full day doing various jobs and 2 very serious training sessions I need a full nights sleep to be able to do it all again the next and I won't get it if I'm up half the night cooking and doing dishes. Thats where the team at Hexey have offered to come along and lend a hand. 
The food they supply is cooked the day you eat it and delivered to your house or work, fresh every morning. They currently deliver in the Sydney CBD, Bondi Junction and surrounding suburbs and are expanding their delivery areas every week, so check in with them to see if they can deliver to you.
Hexey is designed for time poor people that want to either lose weight, build muscle or even just maintain a healthy lifestyle. I actually met Phil and Jeremy (two of the three Hexey owners) the other day and they are real, down to earth guys. Jeremy lost a staggering 52 kilo's with hard training and eating the awesome wholesome food Hexey supplies and he looks fantastic. If you have time, please take a minute to read their story here. It's very inspiring ! They are a great little Sydney company just trying to help the time poor, overweight people of this city achieve a better life and I am super stoked to be a part of their ever growing list of clients.




I didn't get the chance to complete my 12WBT weekly surprise a few weeks ago which was to find a with a healthy snack thats easy and quick to make so I though I would put one on here that I got from Deano, my lifeguard team leader at Bondi. Deano is one of the healthiest people I know and is always chowing on the most amazing food at work. One day he was eating what I thought was raw meat so I dared to ask, "What the bloody hell is that?" He replied "Here, try some" My suspicions were correct, it was raw meat, the best I have ever tasted. He gave me the recipe and it goes a little something like this.

Take raw organic chuck steak minced, add some fresh lemon juice, diced spanish onion also maybe some coriander if you like and mix it all together. Leave in the fridge over night. The lemon juice will slightly cook the meat. Serve with some Avocado and Coz lettuce. 


It's so delicious, don't knock it till you try it :)

Super Saturday started with my usual 7am "Full Throttle" class at Shift60. The twist this time was getting to take one of you along. Michaela is a lovely young lady from Brisbane. Most of her training consist of Yoga so this Shift 60 class was something a little different for her.





I am glad lots of you liked my pole dancing video, we had such a great workout and a lot of fun. What more could you want ! This week along with Corey O, Brad Malyon and Chappo we ventured down to Rose Bay for my Super Saturday Fun Session and boy didn't we get a flogging ! My mate Belly runs the OZ Stand Up Paddle school down there and has joined forces with the lovely Nat Marnoch from No Attitude Training to start a paddle box fitness session every Saturday morning. I'm already pretty confident on a SUP (stand up paddle board) and have done a bit of open ocean paddling but I have never actually done a proper training session where you paddle under serious fatigue. The idea is fantastic and the work out is second to none. With Belly's excellent knowledge of stand up paddling and Nat's well structured boxing elements it's a session that suits all levels of fitness. The other bonuses are you get to exercise outdoors, in the warm sun on Sydney's amazing harbour. I can't find a reason why you wouldn't have a go? If you think it might be something you'd want to try, Like Paddle Box on Facebook to see when the next session is coming up !




There is a great App out called "My fitness pal". You just enter your details and goal weight it works out the exact amount of calories you are allowed for each day and what you can and can't eat.


I wanna challenge everyone to spend this week monitoring their calories. Even if your not doing the 12WBT or on a diet. Im going to do it because I really think it will help me be more aware of how many calories are in the foods I am putting in my mouth.Please let me know how your doing and what results you get in my in my comments section, I would really be interested to know what everyone thinks. 


I also read a great blog piece from my friend Amelia Burton about "People that are exercising but not losing weight". Its got some very interesting facts and really is a great read. Check it out HERE.


Hitting the halfway mark next week and I'm frothing. The last 5 have been so much fun. Don't get me wrong, I do love a good night on the sauce, beers, booze, stubbs what ever you want to call it but I think it has made me realise just how much of my life I have already wasted either partying or in to much pain to do anything from partying the night before. Oh dear, I think I might actually be growing up :) 


Thanks for stopping in, till next time.


Reidy :)

7 comments:

  1. Keep up the great work Reidy. :D
    Looks like your having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in inspiration, I love your attitude, it's thanks to you I have spent the last 3 nights getting hot and sweaty down the gym! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I alway's love reading your blog Reidy, very inspirational, and I don't feel bad now, the only thing I have to do is come up with my own easy snack too, done everything else, I'm finding this to be a difficult task, I'm not that creative :(....loving your achievement's. bring on the next 6 weeks!!

    Megalicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh I LOVE your blogs, they inspire me :) you are looking amazing, and beofre everyone starts thinking ''your only saying that coz you think hes hot or something'' no thats not the reason, you have lost loads of weight and looking brilliant, at first i though to myself you dont have weight to loose but i can see now what you have done!
    Ive just read Amelia's blog/list and it is going to help me, i'm going to push myself that little bit further and even tho i HATE water I'm gona start to drink at least my 2ltrs a day and obviously more when i work out. ...... I wish i could buy a bucket of willpower tho!! keep up the good work...p.s Shift 60 (almost made a typo there) looks amazing, wish we had something like that here!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love my fitness PAl I joined Weight watcher put up 8lbs gave it up started using that I am back down 10lbs

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're blog is giving me some great ideas to keep in shape when I'm in Sydney! Inspiration is lacking here in Scotland, what with the freezing temps, wind and snow... Bring on the summer sun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reidy, you're so inspirational! I'm on my own journey to fitness and health. Hopefully I succeed! Keep up the good work =)

    ReplyDelete